Did you know the right oven can not only cook but can actually enhance your meals? How is this possible you ask?
Convection ovens cook food differently than conventional ovens. Convection ovens utilize a powerful circulating system to create evenly dispersed heat. This is what allows you to cook on more than one rack at the same time, delivering delicious food quickly. But it is about more than cooking in larger quantities. When food is also cooked evenly, it allows the flavors to blend and enhances the texture.
Conventional ovens, or traditional ovens, use a single heating element to cook. This is typically found at the bottom of an oven and is why the temperatures of dishes may vary throughout the oven.
Tips For Cooking with A Convection Oven
While it is not complicated, there are certain things you need to know about either cooking with a convection oven or using the convection oven setting in your current oven.
1. Food may cook more quickly. Since conventional and convection ovens cook differently and convection ovens get up to temperature more quickly, you may not need to cook your food as long. When you look at your recipe, check to see if there are different instructions for a convection oven. If not, we recommend checking your food about 15 minutes before the standard cook time to see if it is done sooner and prevent overcooking.
2. You may need to modify cooking temperatures. Luckily, converting cooking temperatures from a conventional oven to a convection oven is simple subtraction. Simply reduce the recipe temperature by 25℉ (via Whirlpool.com).
3. Leave space at the top and bottom of the oven. As mentioned earlier, a convection oven cooks food using air circulation. With this method, you will want to make sure there are a few inches of space between the top of the oven and your highest dish, as well as between the bottom of the oven and your lowest dish.
4. Cookie sheets are ideal. When using your convection oven, you are going to want to use dishes with the lowest sides possible to enhance airflow. Use a cookie sheet when possible.
Which Foods Cook Best with A Convection Setting?
The convection setting cooks food evenly. It also browns and crisps perfectly, making it the perfect option for:
● Poultry - Such as Chicken or Turkey
● Crispy Cookies
● Pastry Puffs
● Crusty Breads
Looking to Purchase a New Oven?
If you’re looking to purchase a new convection oven or range, shop at Queen City Audio Video & Appliance. We ensure that you will receive the best customer service and deal possible. Shop our selection of ranges and ovens online today or stop into your local store to browse in person and speak with one of our team members.